When we talk about managing a small volume of data in the context of a data project, we are usually talking about resources made up of small elements that are readable, understandable and usable. This data comes in a format and volume that can be used fairly quickly. They very often correspond to various subjects, because we can store all this data in the same Azure SQL database: sales data, biometric measurements, scores from sporting events, weather forecasts, inventory reports, etc. Within organisations, how is small data then processed and with the help of which solution?
What is a low-volume data project?
Working with a small volume of data provides real benefits. Unlike Big Data, which takes time to collect and process data, data with a small volume is more accurate.
As part of a data project, this data makes it possible to focus on a well-defined objective and its processing is faster. They can even be transformed into ultra-qualified data. This is why data projects with a low volume of data are often part of a marketing approach.
Typically, digital marketing or purchasing teams don’t need to tap into huge amounts of resources to develop their strategy. For example, to build a CRM (Customer Relationship Management), organisations need to gather information about customer feedback, brand, sales figures on specific products, etc.
These data sets are targeted, rich and exploitable information in near real time. The success rate of these data projects with low data volumes is frequently high. In addition, these projects involve only a small number of collaborators and involve the use of analysis methods that are not very complex and accessible to all. Operating software is still essential, regardless of the volume of data to be processed.
The Azure SQL Solution: Overview
Azure SQL is a secure and intelligent solution for storing and maintaining a database. This Microsoft platform is based on SQL Server technology and offers a wide range of features and deployment. Data and applications can be accessed in multi-cloud environments or on local physical machines.
With Azure SQL, you get a consistent, unified experience that allows you to manage your entire SQL portfolio with multiple integrated services:
- All modern cloud applications are supported with Azure SQL Database. This service allows the linking of databases intended for the cloud. By using this service, different options are available to you. You can create tables, load data, run queries, and in some cases you no longer have to deal with details about parallelism, partitioning, indexing, or compression. Azure SQL automatically configures the database for querying.
- You can modernise your existing applications with Azure SQL Managed Instance.
- You can easily virtually port your SQL workload to Azure with Azure virtual machines. This is usually to rehost applications on an IaaS (infrastructure-as-a-service) infrastructure.
- With Azure SQL Edge, you get the latest AI and computing capabilities in the cloud. Indeed, Azure SQL Edge is a database for edge computing. You can extend your applications to IoT, for example.
Azure SQL is a feature-based solution that automatically updates and patches databases so that they are always up to date. This way, you can fully focus on your applications.
The main benefits of Azure SQL
With Azure SQL, organizations benefit from certain security features:
- The solution offers intelligent built-in security that helps thwart potential threats in real time.
- The tool allows you to set up an encryption of data catalogs.
- Customers benefit from multi-layered protection that translates into network security controls and access management.
- Azure SQL enables the most comprehensive compliance with 90 specific compliance certifications from 50 countries worldwide. This translates into the provision of tools that support organizations to grow rapidly while complying with internal policies and external regulations.
- Customers can benefit from continuous protection of their cloud resources with Azure security center.
Azure SQL, centralising multiple services, saves money with unique offerings at competitive prices. Different power levels are offered and can be changed in just a few clicks.
To conclude, Azure SQL is a platform that also generates significant business benefits since it is accessible anywhere in the world, no matter where the database is hosted. Customers also appreciate the agility and simplicity of the platform, which allows you to create a database quickly, easily configure new options and has a range of essential features to analyse the data.